Elks Lodge 1912.

Edward C. Mills, Epiphany member

and skilled wood craftsman

 

 

 

 

Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Gregg, early Flagstaff

residents and Epiphany parishioners. 

 


Newlyweds Irvin and Sally Drye leave the church

after their wedding in 1956.



All Saints 2017

 

Our History

The Episcopal Church first came to Flagstaff twenty five years before Arizona achieved statehood! In that year, 1912, the tiny congregation moved from their temporary quarters at the Elks Lodge downtown to a new local rock church on the corner of Beaver and Elm Streets.

 

Master stonemason Herman Dietzman constructed the Period Revival style church with its distinctive bell tower and Gothic arched stained glass window. The interior is of the Craftsman or Mission Style, with classic hand-carved woodwork by Edward C. Mills, a master carpenter who also worked for 20 years at the nearby Lowell Observatory. The Parish Hall was added in 1927 to match the original sanctuary with its malpais rock construction and gothic arched windows

.

The parish’s early history was marked by the World Wars. A wreath commemorating local boys fighting on the European front hung on the church’s wooden double doors during World War I. Records by Church Secretary Kent Rucker show an enormous struggle by church leadership to continue parish business during wartime. The Bishop’s Committee authorized the use of the parish hall for dances for soldiers sponsored by the church. Women have always been a strong presence in the church. They supported the Episcopal Church Women's Guilds, and raised money for stained glass windows, vestments, candles, and altar linens. Bazaars were a common way to raise monies back in the day, and a huge yard sale was held every year during the 1970’s.

 

In 2012, our parish celebrated its 100th year at the corner of Beaver and Elm!  And in 2016, Epiphany hired the Rev. Marianna Gronek as its latest Rector and together, we are moving forward in a positive and progressive way.

 

Today, we reflect and cherish the past while moving confidently into the future. Epiphany has rededicated itself to supporting the spiritual growth of the congregation, maintaining our historic building, and preserving and creating new ministries in the Episcopal tradition. We invite you to join us – in God’s name - as we share God's love for this world and hope for the world to come.

 


Hand-drawn sketches of the tower

by Dr. Charles Hoffman.

               Sanctuary Stained Glass 1912.

Downtown Flagstaff 1920's

March for Our Lives 2017

Epiphany Mission 2018.